This is an allegorical poem depicting the love-union of God and his people by the ardent mutual love of a bridegroom and bride. In the Prophets, married love is often used as a symbol for the relationship between God and his chosen people. This beautiful allegory is also used in the New Testament to express the close union that exists between Christ and his Church.
1. Union with Christ. Mutual love and desire. Canticle 1:1-17.
2. Christ caresses His spouse. Canticle 2:1-17.
3. The spouse seeks Christ. Canticle 3:1-11.
4. The bridegroom glories in the beauty of his spouse. Canticle 4:1-16.
5. The bride glories in the beauty of her spouse. Canticle 5:1-16.
6. The beauty of the Church, the spouse of Christ. Canticle 6:1-13.
7. The graces of the Church, the spouse of Christ. Canticle 7:1-12.
8. Mutual love of Christ and his Church. Canticle 8:1-14.