This book is the record of Moses farewell to Israel. The word Deuteronomy signifies a second law. The book repeats the ordinances given on Mount Sinai with some other precepts not expressed before. The laws recorded in Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers are brought together and applied specifically to the settled life in Canaan which is about to begin.
1. The journeys of the Israelites and the appointment of Judges.
(Numbers 11:16). Deuteronomy 1:1-18.
2. Spies sent out. (Numbers 13:16). Deuteronomy 1:19-25.
3. Rebellion against the Lord. (Numbers 14:9.) Deuteronomy 1:26-46.
4. Wanderings in the desert. (Numbers 21:4 & 21:10) Deuteronomy 2:1-23.
5. Defeat of Sihon king of Heshbon. (Numbers 21:21-31). Deuteronomy 2:24-37.
6. Defeat of Og King of Bashan. (Numbers 21:32-35). Deuteronomy 3:1-11.
7. Division of Land. (Numbers 32) Deuteronmy 3:12-20. B.C.
8. Moses forbidden to cross into Jordan. (Numbers 20:9-13). Deuteronomy 3:21-29.
9. Obedience Commanded. Deuteronomy 4:1-14
10. Idolatry Forbidden. Deuteronomy 4:15-31.
11. The Lord is God. Deuteronomy 4:32-40.
12. Cities of Refuge. (Numbers 35:6-8). Deuteronomy 4:41-43.
13. Introduction to the Law. Deuteronomy 4:44-49.
14. The Ten Commandments. (Exodus 20:1-21). Deuteronomy 5:1-33.
15. Love the Lord your God. Deuteronomy 6:1-25.
16. Driving out the Nations. Deuteronomy 7:1-26.
17. Do not forget the Lord. Deuteronomy 8:1-20.
18. Only the power of God sustains Israel. Deuteronomy 9:1-6.
19. The Golden Calf. (Exodus 32:4). Deuteronomy 9:7-29.
20. New Exhortations and Counsels. Deuteronomy 10:1-11.
21. An exhortation to obedience. Deuteronomy 10:12-22.
22. Love and Obey the Lord. Deuteronomy 11:1-32.
23. The One Place of Worship. Deuteronomy 12:1-32.
24. Worshipping Other Gods. Deuteronomy 13:1-18.
25. Clean and Unclean Food. Deuteronomy 14:1-21.
26. Tithes. (Leviticus 27:30). Deuteronomy 14:22-29.
27. The Year for Cancelling Debts. Every seventh year is a year of release for Hebrew slaves, cancellation of debts and freeing servants (Leviticus 25-10-12). Deuteronomy 15:1-18.
28. Rules regarding the firstborn animals. Deuteronomy 15:19-23.
29. The Passover, Feast of Weeks & Feast of Tabernacles. (Numbers 28; 29). Deuteronomy 16:1-17.
30. Appointment of Judges. (Exodus 18:21). Deuteronomy 16:18-20.
31. Worshipping other Gods. Deuteronomy 16:21-22.B.C.
32. Punishment for Idolatory. Legal Problem Cases. Deuteronomy 17:1-13.
33. The future King. The warnings given in this chapter; military aggression and sensuality leading to idolatory, become all too real three hundred years later in Solmons reign. Deuteronomy 17:14-20.
34. Offerings for Priests and Levites. (Numbers 18:8-32). Deuteronomy 18:1-8.
35. Detestable practices. Human sacrifice, sorcery etc. is an abomination Deuteronomy 18:9-13.
36. The Prophet. (This is a reference to Jesus.) Deuteronomy 18:14-22.
37. Cities of Refuge. Rules of Witnesses and of deciding disputes. Deuteronomy 19:1-21.
38. Rules for War. Deuteronomy 20:1-20. 39. Atonement for an unsolved murder. Deuteronomy 21:1-9.
40. Marrying a Captive Woman. Deuteronomy 21:10-14.
41. The rights of the firstborn. Deuteronomy 21:15-17.
42. A Rebellious Son. Deuteronomy 21:18-21.
43. Various Laws concerning burial of a criminal who has been put to death. Deuteronomy 21:22-23.
44. Laws concerning:- lost animals and property; men dressing as women and vice versa; birds-nesting; safety of buildings and marriage violations. Deuteronomy 22:1-30.
45. Exclusion from the Assembly. Detailing those who are not allowed to join the assembly. Deuteronomy 23:1-14.
46. Miscellaneous Laws. Deuteronomy 23:15-25.
47. Divorce & Humanitarian Laws. Deuteronomy 24:1-22.
48. Laws concerning Corporal punishment; compassion for working animals; the Levirate marriage; fights; fair weights and punishment of the Amalekites. Deuteronomy 25:1-19.
49. Laws concerning firstfruits and tithes. Deuteronomy 26:1-15.
50. Concluding plea to the Laws. Deuteronomy 26:16-19.
51. The last eight chapters of Deuteronomy are the discourses of Moses, his final words to them before he dies and the people move into the promised land. The Law is Recorded. Deuteronomy 27:1-8. B.C.
52.Those who shall be Cursed. Deuteronomy 27:9-26.
53. Blessing for Obedience. Deuteronomy 28:1-14.
54. Curses for Disobedience. Deuteronomy 28:15-68.
55. Renewal of the Covenant. Moses calls the nation to a new commitment. Deuteronomy 29:1-29 & 30:1-20.
56.Joshua to Succeed Moses. Deuteronomy 31:1-8.
57.The Law is written by Moses and given to the sons of Levi who carry the Ark and commands that it be read out at the end of every seven years in the year for cancelling debts. Deuteronomy 31:9-13.
58. The Lord foretells the rebellion of the Israelites and teaches Moses a song to be passed on to the people. Moses recites the song which the Lord taught him. Deuteronomy 31:14-29 & 32:1-47.
59. The Lord tells Moses to go to Mount Nebo from where he will be able to see the promised land. On that Mountain he will die. Deuteronomy 32:48-52.
60. Moses Blesses the Twelve Tribes. Deuteronomy 33:1-29.
61. The Death and Burial of Moses. Deuteronomy 34:1-12